Tuesday 10 August 2010

I may actually learn how to sew...

Apologies once more for the epic gap between blog posts... currently kicking myself trust me! Got a few creative type things on at the moment, which is pretty awesome!

Having these lonely nights of boredom is getting me into all sorts of mischief... doing lots of drawing but unfortunetely nothing digital and i don't have a scanner yet to scan in my doodles :( Trying to get one that is wireless, one of those all in one jobbies, but turns out most of them only print wirelessly, but you have to plug them in to scan.... argh! Also need a new mac, working on a laptop is a real pain when you're at a desk, it over-heats too much to have on my lap!

Now onto the picture and the whole sewing thing. Anyone who knows me well knows what really grinds my gears - awesome tshirts only in men's sizes! Mainly on the high street really, there's lots of awesome new tshirt stores online that do men's and women's sizes in all the designs, trouble is they're mainly based in the US meaning the postage is expensive. TruffleShuffle is awesome, but all the cool designs are for boys.... booo! Primark always has some cool tees in the men's section and they're ridiculously cheap, extra small fits me sometimes luckily but it's mainly luck whether its a nice fit or not. So on my Google voyages I went looking for ideas on how to make a men's tshirt fit me, and also to salvage some of my fave tshirts that are looking a little out of shape, small etc... and i stumbled on two awesome books!

Generation T - Beyond Fashion 120 Ways to Transform a T-shirt

and 99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim and Tie Your T-shirt into Something Special

Both these books have restored my faith in clothes! The nearest I'd eve got to customising shirts would be to cut my tees that had srunk in a wide off the should boat neck so they would have a bit more length after my Mum shrinks them in the wash, but these books take it to a whole new, yet easy enough level! Check out their respective sites/blogs on the links above for some ideas!

Got a couple of shirts over the weekend, an awesome yet huge men's tee from Primark with a David Bowie-esqu lion on the front and a superbly awesome small but still too big and very unflattering Iron Man tee from Play... will keep you posted on how those turn out...hopefully not to shreds! Mike's bringing a few with him next time he comes down that don't fit him any more too, yay!

Big news of the week is... Mike, my boyfriend, finally has a job in London so he'll be moving in permenently in three weeks...WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!! :D

6 comments:

  1. that's great news bout your boyfriend! if you want some other tee customisation ideas/how-to's have a look at http://www.cutoutandkeep.net just search tees/tshirts. it's a craft site where people post what they've made and generally how they've done it

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers :D

    and that site is awesome... i want the cat ears hat... sending it to my mum to knit in time for winter lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job! Bit belated (I've not been blogging much either!) but hope it's all going well for you. Plus it's great your boyfriend will be joining you, I guess London can be a bit lonely. Loved the party invite too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Primark tshirts are a God send for poor students like me. £3 for a tee with a pretty decent design can't be beaten, though I do worry about the ethics behind the sometimes.

    My girlfriend often buys mens tshirts because a lot of high street stores don't seem to stock female designs in anything above a size 8!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i thought about the ethics of it all, but then the expensive guys do it too, there's very little choice amongst the 'ethical' stuff and what proof do you have that it's not a con anyway lol

    Female designs for shirts in general suck, plus im with your gf on the sizes, i'm a 12 but i guarantee you i'll buy a girls tee that is the right size but after one (cold!) wash it has shrunk and gone out of shape >:( All the designers who make the girls tees just think all we want s f**king tinkerbell and tweety pie or some dumb ass message about stuff lol

    ReplyDelete